“We cannot change the outcome,
but we can affect the journey.”
– Ann Richardson
Death Doulas have extensive knowledge, expertise, and experience to support people and their families through the dying process – from diagnosis to death, and beyond. They empower, encourage, and enable clients to communicate with their loved ones including sharing how they envision their final days. One Thread offers a number of services to support clients and families:
Planning ahead can help to alleviate fear and anxiety for the one dying as well as their family. Doulas help clients to talk through options, such as where they want to die and the setting and interactions that they want with others, including family, loved ones, and the professional staff around them.
- Consult with clients to create a plan that reflects and honours their wishes for their death
- Review and discuss available end of life options with clients and their family
- Provide Advance Care Planning guidance
Legacy projects provide an opportunity for the client to reflect on the most meaningful moments or experiences in their lives and capture these in a lasting memory for their loved ones.
- Share ideas and discuss options for legacy projects
- Help create photo-albums, videos, written letters, and record life stories
- Design unique ways of expressing and celebrating the life and legacy of the client
Death Doulas provide emotional and spiritual support in the final days of life by explaining symptoms, helping family members and loved ones know what to expect, and connecting with the professional team when needed.
- 24-hour bedside emotional and spiritual support as well as basic physical care during the last days of life
- Creation of the vigil sensory experience – be it placement of objects, music, or imagery based on the clients’ wishes
- Respite for family members, giving them an opportunity to rest knowing their loved one is in safe, compassionate care
Memorials, Celebrations of Life and Funeral Services
One Thread facilitates dialogue and planning for memorials, celebrations of life and funeral services, including:
- Connecting with local funeral directors and working with them on the families’ behalf to convey the client’s wishes regarding the obituary, music, photos, visitations, and eulogy
- Planning and conducting memorials and celebrations of life or home-based funerals
- Providing after-death home care guidance
Grief and Bereavement Counselling
One Thread has a vast network of professional contacts, including a number of grief and bereavement counsellors. Please contact us for referrals.
Other Practical Resources and Support
One Thread offers a wide range of additional support to individuals and their families through the end-of-life process and beyond. Some examples include:
- Arranging meals, house-cleaning, and pet care
- Coordinating and helping prepare for personal visits with family and friends
- Sorting and managing personal belongings
- Supporting family members in clearing out, staging and listing their loved one’s home
If you would like to discuss specific needs and services, contact us to talk about how we can best support you.